What I Learned About Life From 3AM
I’m going to throw in some miscellaneous takeaways that I haven’t covered in other posts into this one. Now is my chance to throw as many cliches at you as possible, so stay wary. First, never be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, both as a CNA and in other aspects of your life. Humans were never meant to keep repeating things that don’t scare them. There is a reason we have adrenaline in our body. That adrenaline excites us, and it pushes us past our personal limits. Do things that scare you, even if it’s difficult, because after you do it once, it never seems scary again. Applying this to the CNA realm, if you’re asked to, take on a section you’ve never had before. Ask questions to charge nurses. Don’t be afraid to pick up that extra shift just because you’ve never worked on that floor. People will teach you what to do, and every step outside your normal boundaries is an opportunity to learn and grow.
Tying into stepping out of your comfort zone, never hesitate in speaking your mind. A care team is built on collaboration and the sharing of training and opinions. If you aren’t questioning a decision that is pertinent to the patient’s care, you’re creating an oversight. Furthermore, if an action of care for the patient contradicts with what you feel is technically or morally right, discuss this with the team. Bounce ideas off of each other to come to a consensus that works in the patient’s favor. Most importantly, never work carrying regrets. “Why didn’t I ask that question?”, “Why didn’t I mention that?”, all these things are a mental burden on you, and it’s better to not carry that. Especially if you’re confused about something, don’t try to do it without getting clarification from another CNA or nurse first, because you can easily hurt the patient if you do something wrong. Issues like that can be easily avoided by simply asking questions.
Focusing more on the grueling experience of working 12-hour shifts, one quote that applies to this is “if it breaks you but it opens your eyes, you won.” I’ve said it before, but being mentally tapped into your work for 12 full hours, especially when those 12 hours are at night, is incredibly challenging. But every shift, every hour, and every patient brings you closer to being the best version of yourself you can be, and the best version of a CNA you can be. When I worked nights, my parents would beg me to quit so that I could relax and enjoy my life and sleep more. They thought that working as a CNA was torture for me, but I had to sit them down and explain to them that I loved it. I loved being in control, and I loved helping. I loved the feeling of leaving a shift at 6am and feeling the cold air on my face and feeling beyond accomplished. I came out of every shift stronger than I entered it, and I walked into every shift stronger than I left the one prior. What doesn’t kill you really will make you stronger.
Segueing into my final point, be the strongest version of yourself. Hold your ground when disrespected, push yourself physically and mentally, and never let anyone tell you you’re not capable enough of doing something. If I had listened to all the people who told me I was too young, I would be a very different person today. So give yourself the opportunity to help others, and give yourself the opportunity to learn. Keep working, and keep growing.
Comments
Post a Comment